The power of III

Summum ius summa iniuria--More law, less justice
--Cicero.

28 January 2011

I'm your huckleberry

The orgin of the saying

If you’re like me, you’ve enjoyed the movie “Tombstone” (the famous story of which is supposed to have happened in the former Confederate territory of Arizona)  multiple times. My brother and I have virtually memorised the dialog in this film – including the phrase “I’m you’re huckleberry.” I’ve often wondered where this phrase comes from, as I figure many folks have. Lawson Stone writes:
On and off I hear discussions in which people speculate on the exact origin and meaning is of the quaint idiom used by Doc Holliday in the movie “Tombstone.” I’ve heard some wild suggestions, including “huckleberry” meaning “pall-bearer” suggesting “I’ll bury you.”
Still others think it has something to do with Mark Twain’s character, Huckleberry Finn, and means “steadfast friend, pard.” This is unlikely, since the book of that title was not written until 1883. Tom Sawyer was written in 1876, but nowhere there is the term “huckleberry” used to mean “steadfast friend” or the like.

Why, Johnny Ringo, you look like someone walked over your grave...


Read the rest at Southernnationalist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment